This is the perfect soup for a chilly evening after say spending the day working out in the yard or right before you take a group of crazy kids out Trick or Treating!
One of the things I love about this soup is that I can toss in whatever measurements I have on hand and it still turns out yummy! I NEVER measure the spinach! I just chop up a bunch and throw it in! I also typically use a 32oz box of chicken broth because that’s the size I buy and I don’t want the extra hanging out in my fridge.
Tortellini & Spinach Soup
2 cups of chopped fresh spinach
2 t. olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
2 cans (14 oz. each) chicken broth
1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 t. sugar
2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
3 T. grated parmesan cheese
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
1 large egg
1. Chop spinach, set aside
2. Heat oil in a 4 1/2 quart Dutch over or soup pot over medium heat. Peel and finely chop onion, adding it to the pot as you chop. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is tender, 2-3 minutes.
3. Add 2 cups water and the broth; turn heat to high; and bring to a boil.
4. Add spinach, tomatoes with juice, and sugar. Stir well.
5. Add tortellini and bring soup back to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, maintaining a slow boil, and cook until the pasta is just tender. 4-5 minutes.
6. While tortellini is cooking, mix parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, and egg in small bowl. Whisk with vigor, set aside.
7. When tortellini is tender, slowly drizzle the egg mixture over the soup, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring until mixed well.